March 14, 2010

A Four Year-old's Hymn

I help with the four/five year-olds choir at church and tonight they sang "Footsteps of Jesus" at the beginning of the service. We all had to be there 45 minutes early to practice lining up on stage and standing still (and it really does take 45 minutes to practice this with 20 four and five year olds).

Shortly after I got there, one of the first little girls to arrive asked me if she could sing me "her song."

"Of course!" I told her.

She then, at the top of her lungs, sang the chorus to "Footsteps of Jesus" for me.

The chorus traditionally goes:
Footsteps of Jesus
Make the pathway glow
I will follow the steps of Jesus
Where ere they go

Her version went like this:
The Prince of Egypt
Makes the pathways glow
I will follow the steps of Jesus
Where ere they go

Priceless. And I could do absolutely nothing to convince her that she had the words wrong.

After calling my dad and telling him the story, he told me that when he was little he used to sing,

Would you be free from the bird in the tree?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood!

instead of

Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood!


All I can say is that kids are fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment